Not so young... but getting quite restless.

As a Y&R fan, I've been one who loves the show and has been frustrated by the show, off and on throughout the years. This is mostly due to how certain writers have led the way, some good, some not so good. I've also been re-energized by the ways that some of the vets have been given a chance to shine more. So here is my place to cheer, to jeer, and to share my favorite moments.

Friday, January 6, 2012

Maria's Creative... Writing

This just in: Maria Bell has hired yet another new actor to gum up the works at Y&R.  Catherine Bach, Daisy Duke herself, will be entering Genoa City before too long.  Maybe she'll be a detective and finally locate Paul, Lauren, Jill, and the other vets that have disappeared into the woodwork.  Maybe she'll play a Family Therapist who will reunite Colin and Cane long enough to get the the Ashby/Atkinson story going again.  Nothing against Bach or Williams or the bevy of other newbies at Y&R, but they aren't used any better than the vets.

I've grown accustomed to the bewildering decisions over at Y&R, and I continue to be amazed at how no one, not even Sony, has stepped in to stop the madness that emanates from the Executive Producer/Head Writer's cave of doom.  I keep fully expecting to turn on A&E's Intervention one day and see Maria Bell sitting on the couch, surrounded by well wishers:

"Maria, you have to stop writing your show after spending hours surfing the air waves" says one.  "You have to choose.  Watch TV or write Y&R.  Pick one.  You can't do both."

"You are tearing us apart" says another.  "We don't recognize our show anymore.  You've killed off all the Abbotts, the Ashbys, the Winters, and most of the Newmans.  And now the show is in French and has a singing clown family at the center of it.  You have to stop now, dear."

"I can't.  I need it bad, man" counters Maria.  "If I don't add more new characters, no one will love me.  I'll get the sweats and... and... you just don't understand, man."

 Of course the hope is that she'll see the light and listen to the people around her.  Maybe their sanity and logic will rub off on her like a healing balm.   Y&R ceased to be entertaining long ago.  Many of us would watch, get hooked on a character, get involved in a story, and then Maria pulls the carpet out from our feet and giggles, "oops I did it again" before skipping off to create another character that will displace the characters we already don't get to see but every other full moon.

I also imagine Sony execs going to her office and gaining a clue about the devastation they are enabling.  My fingers remain crossed that SOMETHING will break through the fog over there and save the Y&R from its downward path.  One can still hope.... I hope...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.